Tuesday 4 November 2008

Newcastle 2 - 0 Villa. Oh dear!

Given my last post was a very long rant about Newcastle United and the way the club is run, I do believe that I am now going to have to order myself a huge slice of humble pie.

I cannot believe that I have made myself look so foolish on my own blog, however can only praise Newcastle for their performance, say 'well done' and that they deserved it.

The first-half was Villa's. We bossed it and should have taken the lead through either Martin Laursen or Gabby Agbonlahor. Unfortunately both failed to break the deadlock but don't worry; there is always the second half...

Dominated by Newcastle, the Villa looked not even a shadow of the side that has started this season so brightly. The opportunity to go third was there and we blew it. This taking nothing away from Newcastle who made it hard to tell whether the Villa's game had dropped or their game had suddenly picked up. But they capitalised on every poor aspect of our game in order to take all three points courtesy of a brace from Obafemi Martins.

Perhaps I was being ignorant yesterday. Caught up in Newcastle's results but ignoring their performances. Perhaps I was being arrogant and got carried away with Villa's excellent start. Or perhaps once I had written a blog so devastating, it was always going to come back and haunt me.

I'm still unconvinced by Joe Kinnear because with a team like Newcastle's, the potential has always been there. And I would like to point out Joey Barton's needless touching up of Agbonlahor's face followed by a pretty awful tackle. However for the rest of the team that fought so hard and proved they're not down just yet, I congratulate you.

1 comment:

Jonny Rogers said...

Don't worry, you won't be the first team to underestimate us this season!! The Kinnear revolution has begun!

Villa will bounce back and I'm sure they'll be challenging in and around the top four this season, and I for one hope they break into it, a good club with a good manager, and good young English players.